Margaret Mahy Playground is a fantastic asset to the city. It’s innovative, modern, and cleverly designed to reflect our city’s surrounding areas.
The playground is located on a large site within Madras, Manchester and Armagh streets, next to the Ōtākaro/Avon River – it’s said to be the biggest playground in the southern hemisphere.
Note that the playground is not fenced but hopefully even the most notorious runners will be so captivated by the playground they won’t leave the grounds!
We visited the Margaret Playground twice in December 2015 – once wasn’t enough!
- a 4 metre wide-slide
- double flying fox
- sand play & water play (water cannons, sprinklers, & a splash pad with controllable jets)
- swings, rockers, & a crawl tunnel for toddlers.
- lawn picnic areas, seating, & a shade canopy
- food and beverage retailers
- public toilets & change facilities.
- free car park off Armagh Street
- temporary additional parking on a vacant grassed site on the corner of Gloucester and Madras Streets (accessible from Gloucester Street).
Click on a picture to view in a slideshow.
Located between Madras, Manchester and Armagh streets, next to the Ōtākaro/Avon River.
Future Christchurch, Greater Canterbury – Margaret Mahy Family Playground
Christchurch Central Development Unit – Margaret Mahy Family Playground