There’s a lot to explore in and around Brooklands Lagoon and Spencer Park – it’s a top spot!
We visited Seafield Park and Brooklands Lagoon and did a short walk along the lagoon to a bird hide, and investigated the animal area.
We did this walk in April 2015 (autumn).
- Brooklands Lagoon Bird Hide (30 mins return) – this very scenic walk took us about 40 mins return. It starts at the picnic area beside the animal area and Adrenalin Forest. The flat track is grassy, sandy, and can be boggy in places – OK for a buggy but hard work in a couple of places (see pictures below). Take some binoculars for bird watching from the bird hide.
- Wetland Pond Circuit (20 mins return) – a wheelchair/stroller accessible walk around two ponds. One to try next time…
- Beach and Surf Club Circuit (20 mins return) – a sandy walk?? Haven’t done this one…
- There are also three longer walks (3-4 hours): Waimakariri River Mouth and Spit; Southern Pegasus Bay Track to Broad Park; and, Brooklands Lagoon and Seafield Park.
Helpful stuff to know
- Park in the Seafield Park/Adrenalin Forest car park (on your left after the Hibburt Park entrance).
- The nearest toilets to the Brooklands Lagoon Bird Hide Walk are probably back in the main picnic area (go right from where you enter the Seafield Park/Adrenalin Forest (signposted) car park.
- There are seats, viewing platforms, and information boards dotted throughout Spencer Park and Brooklands Lagoon.
Cool stuff to look out for
- Seafield Wildlife Park – open 9 am to 4 pm check out the guinea pigs, rabbits, peach-faced lovebirds, ring-necked doves, yellow-crowned kakariki, peacocks, hens, pigs and more.
- Adrenalin Forest – if you’re over 135 cm!
- Main picnic area – children’s play area, paddling pool, shelters, tennis court, toilets, flying fox, BBQ area.
- Information, park ranger, office, dairy (at the entrance to Spencer Beach Holiday Park).
- Seafield Horse Park – see lots of horses in and around Spencer Park.
Located 14 km north-east of Christchurch, the main access is off the Lower Styx Road and Heyders Road.
Our visit in pictures
- Spencer Park – Christchurch City Council
- Spencer Park and Brooklands Lagoon – Christchurch City Council (very good brochure)
- Brooklands Lagoon Walk – Christchurch City Council
- Seafield Wildlife Park – Christchurch City Council
- Spencer Beach Holiday Park – Kiwi Holiday Parks (lots of info here about the area and holiday park facilities e.g., paddling pool, mini-golf, playgrounds)
- Adrenalin Forest Christchurch